In 2021, the Ontario Visitors Council (OTC) and the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) launched their much-anticipated replace to Ontario Visitors Guide E-book 18: Biking Amenities (regularly referred to as “E-book 18”). Whilst the primary model of this information, revealed in 2013, performed a key position in shaping the expansion of biking infrastructure throughout Ontario, it used to be temporarily overtaken via the speedy tempo of trade in how biking amenities are designed and who they’re designed for.
A decade in the past, designers could have been content material together with a painted motorbike lane on a big arterial street. These days, it’s stated that this handiest caters to a small minority of other folks excited about biking and that other approaches are wanted to draw a broader workforce of “ however involved” customers.
The brand new 387-page information has numerous recent and up to date content material, making it crucial that the brand new steerage be shared extensively and temporarily. To beef up this, WSP used to be shrunk via the OTC to run a sequence of on-line coaching periods. Since November 2021, WSP personnel have skilled over 500 execs throughout 10 digital periods, together with people from Chatham-Kent, Sudbury, Ottawa, Burlington, and all over in-between.
We put numerous effort into growing the content material for this coaching, however extra vital used to be the hassle we put into making it enticing, fascinating, or even amusing!
Making It Interactive
To benefit from the “digital” platform, our group created the direction to maximise engagement, the use of a wealth of gear, apps, and assets.
- Getting to understand other folks with Mentimeter: we began every consultation with a sequence of questions on the place persons are from and their enjoy with motorbike infrastructure. It used to be additionally an effective way to get a really feel for the room and what subjects other folks cared maximum about.
- The use of the Zoom chat function: this allowed individuals who could have been too timid to lift their hand to invite questions, and for other folks to proportion feedback casually. It additionally allowed our instructors who weren’t presenting to stick engaged and resolution questions with out interrupting the waft of the learning, or soak up questions verbally when there used to be a pause within the content material.
- Integrating quick movies all over: to enrich our slides, we confirmed a variety of movies to strengthen the content material, masking subjects together with Steady Sidewalks, Motorbike Containers, and Secure Motorbike Lanes.
- The use of trivialities as a device to maximise participation: we added some elementary multiple-choice trivialities questions all over the learning and waited till no less than 80% of our attendees had spoke back. This used to be additionally an effective way to ensure other folks had been nonetheless paying consideration!
Other folks Be told via Doing
Other folks can handiest take in such a lot wisdom in a single sitting, so we made positive that our coaching incorporated possibilities for attendees to “get their feet rainy” with some workout routines. It’s standard to have some other folks extra assured or prepared to talk up than others, so we adjusted our manner for every consultation to fulfill other folks the place they’re, both making it more uncomplicated for everybody to take part or taking extra of a tutorial-based manner.
- Workout #1: The Design Person incorporated appearing a sequence of quick first-person movies of somebody biking on various kinds of infrastructure. Attendees use the Zoom chat to spot “ache issues” for every video and are invited on the finish to vote on which infrastructure could be appropriate for the “design bicycle owner”.
- Workout #2: Facility Variety offered other folks with a given side road in a rural or city context and requested attendees to select probably the most suitable biking facility kind in keeping with E-book 18’s steerage. We then collaboratively evolved a cross-section the use of the Streetmix device.
- Workout #3: Intersection Design used to be probably the most difficult of all, the place we equipped a pattern intersection and collaboratively recognized problems and constraints and proposed a design manner. Twenty mins is a ways from sufficient time for a complete intersection design, however we frequently ended up with no less than one nook evolved with some concepts via the tip.
- Workout #4: What To not Do used to be our “ultimate quiz” the place we playfully confirmed our attendees footage of really questionable biking infrastructure from all over the world and requested them to spot what’s improper (like a slender motorbike lane proper subsequent to a canal – yikes!). It used to be an excellent, lighthearted strategy to wrap up the direction.
Even when we’d ready for and delivered our first coaching consultation, the advance of the direction used to be a ways from entire.
- Common debriefs after periods: we shared notes and mirrored on what might be advanced, taking note of the place the target market looked to be getting sleepy, the place we felt like we had been speaking an excessive amount of.
- Keeping an eye on time: We saved a time price range for every module, permitting us to supply a extra correct time table and steer clear of working past due. The very last thing other folks need is a coaching consultation that eats into their lunch!
- Modify to other folks’s pursuits: we began each consultation with an open-ended query of what other folks need to get out of the learning, permitting us to select up on scorching subjects and spend extra time on sure sections as wanted.
What Did Other folks Suppose?
Probably the most rewarding a part of instructing is understanding that you simply’ve helped proportion wisdom and abilities with others. Our attendees had been satisfied to proportion how a lot they loved every consultation. Right here’s a couple of of the ones feedback: